Format Description Lists
Format vectors of items and their descriptions as 2-column tables or LaTeX-style description lists.
formatDL(x, y, style = c("table", "list"), width = 0.9 * getOption("width"), indent = NULL)
- a vector giving the items to be described, or a list of length 2 or a matrix with 2 columns giving both items and descriptions.
- a vector of the same length as
xwith the corresponding descriptions. Only used if
xdoes not already give the descriptions.
- a character string specifying the rendering style of the
description information. Can be abbreviated.
"table", a two-column table with items and descriptions as columns is produced (similar to Texinfo's
"list", a LaTeX-style tagged description list is obtained.
- a positive integer giving the target column for wrapping lines in the output.
- a positive integer specifying the indentation of the
second column in table style, and the indentation of continuation
lines in list style. Must not be greater than
width/2, and defaults to
width/3for table style and
width/9for list style.
After extracting the vectors of items and corresponding descriptions from the arguments, both are coerced to character vectors.
In table style, items with more than
indent - 3 characters are
displayed on a line of their own.
a character vector with the formatted entries.
## Provide a nice summary of the numerical characteristics of the ## machine R is running on: writeLines(formatDL(unlist(.Machine))) ## Inspect Sys.getenv() results in "list" style (by default, these are ## printed in "table" style): writeLines(formatDL(Sys.getenv(), style = "list"))