An Extension of Wilkinson's Algorithm for Position Tick Labels on Axes...
An Extension of Wilkinson's Algorithm for Position Tick Labels on Axes
extended(dmin, dmax, m, Q=c(1, 5, 2, 2.5, 4, 3), only.loose=FALSE, w=c(0.25, 0.2, 0.5, 0.05))
- minimum of the data range
- maximum of the data range
- number of axis labels
- set of nice numbers
- if true, the extreme labels will be outside the data range
- weights applied to the four optimization components (simplicity, coverage, density, and legibility)
extended is an enhanced version of Wilkinson's optimization-based axis labeling approach. It is described in detail in our paper. See the references.
- vector of axis label locations
Talbot, J., Lin, S., Hanrahan, P. (2010) An Extension of Wilkinson's Algorithm for Positioning Tick Labels on Axes, InfoVis 2010.