Read shapefile into Map object
Read shapefile into Map object; the file should be given including its ".shp" extension, and the function will reconstruct the names of the database (dbf) file and the index (shx) file from these.
read.shape(filen, dbf.data = TRUE, verbose=TRUE) getinfo.shape(filen) print.shapehead(x, ...)
- name of file with *.shp extension
- read DBF data together with shapes, default TRUE
- default TRUE --- report type of shapefile and number of shapes
- a shapehead list as returned by getinfo.shape
- other arguments passed to print
The function calls code from shapelib to read shapefiles, a file format used by ESRI GIS software among others
- read.shape() returns either a list of shapes of class ShapeList, or if dbf.data = TRUE a Map object with:
Shapes a list of shapes of class ShapeList; both the individual shapes and the list have attributes att.data a data frame of data from the associated DBF file; note that the field names are adjusted to use in R using
make.names(), and so will permit the underscore character from R release 1.9.0.
x <- read.shape(system.file("shapes/sids.shp", package="maptools")) length(x$Shapes) unlist(lapply(x$att.data, class)) str(getinfo.shape(system.file("shapes/fylk-val.shp", package="maptools")))