twitteR is an R package which provides access to the Twitter API. Most functionality of the API is supported, with a bias towards API calls that are more useful in data analysis as opposed to daily interaction.
- Please read the user vignette, which admittedly can get a bit out of date
- Create a Twitter application at http://dev.twitter.com. Make sure to give the app read, write and direct message authority.
- Take note of the following values from the Twitter app page: "API key", "API secret", "Access token", and "Access token secret".
- You can use the CRAN version (stable) via the standard
install.packages("twitteR")or use the github version. To do the latter:
install.packages(c("devtools", "rjson", "bit64", "httr"))
- Make sure to restart your R session at this point
- At this point you should have
setup_twitter_oauth("API key", "API secret")
API secretare from the Twitter app page above. This will lead you through
httr's OAuth authentication process. I recommend you look at the man page for
httrfor an explanation of how it handles caching.
- You should be ready to go!
- If you have any questions or issues, check out the mailing list